If you have just installed a new roof, you should consider putting gutter covers over the gutters. To help you decide if you would like to do this, below are some different types of gutter covers, as well as the benefits of using them.
Types of Gutter Covers
When you start looking at gutter covers, you will find different types available. Five of these types include:
- Foam gutter covers: Foam gutter covers are made of a durable plastic and are placed into the gutter system.
- Mesh gutter covers: This type of gutter cover is made of metal sheets with tiny holes in them, and the gutter cover is attached to the shingles on the roof and then over the gutter system.
- Bottle brush gutter covers: This type of gutter cover has bristles on top of the cover that face up so that when debris falls onto the gutters, the bristles catch the debris, and when it rains, water washes away the debris.
- Reverse gutter covers: Reverse gutter covers are placed on the gutters in a downward position, which redirects debris, such as leaves, to fall directly to the ground after falling onto your gutters when it rains.
- Nylon gutter covers: Nylon gutter covers work well if you live in a cold area because these covers not only keep out leaves and other debris, but they also keep out snow.
Benefits of Using Gutter Covers
Using gutter covers will save you a lot of time, and it is difficult to clean gutters on your own. If you have a lot of trees in your yard, during the fall months, you will have to continually remove leaves from the gutters. Cleaning gutters is also very dangerous, especially if you do this job without any help.
Another benefit of using gutter covers is they protect your roof. This is because when leaves and debris build up inside the gutters, water backs up. This water then gets under your roof and into your attic. Once this happens, the roof can be damaged, and you will have water, mold, and mildew inside your attic. These clogs will also cause snow to back up, and the water and snow will freeze, causing even more problems during the winter months.
Talk with a company that sells gutter covers and they can give you a lot more information about them. You can then hire them to install the gutter covers over your gutters.